Students seeking to petition for exceptions to A&S College academic policies may use the online petition form for A&S primary courses and other general requests, or use the paper/pdf form for requests that involve non-A&S courses. For the paper/pdf form, please e-mail your completed portion along with your statement to email@example.com, with cc's to your faculty advisor, and instructor (if you are making an enrollment change request with your petition). In order for your petition to be completed and reviewed by the college, please request that your faculty advisor, and instructor if applicable, reply with their responses to your petition to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must petition for Overhours if you are
- First-semester first-year student requesting to take more than 18 credits
- Not in good academic standing in the previous semester and you wish to take more than 18 credits
- Requesting to take more than 22 credits
Overhours is determined by the total number of credits, including PE, support and repeated courses.
You must petition for Late Add if you
- Wish to add course(s) after the add deadline. See Academic Calendar & Deadlines for add deadline
- Note: Do not submit this petition if you wish to late add an independent study/undergraduate research course. Follow these instructions to add a research or independent study course.
Withdrawing from a Course
You must petition to withdraw from a course if you
Change Grade Option After Deadline
You can petition to change grade option from S/U to graded (A-F) after the deadline if you wish to count the course towards your major.
Spring 2020 update: You may petition to change your grade option for any Spring 2020 course from graded to S/U or S/U to graded between May 13 - May 23, 2020.
Foreign Language Exemption
You may submit the General Petition for an exemption to the language requirement if:
- you believe that your language competency in a foreign language is at the same level we would expect our entering freshmen to have in English, and
- the language you are speaking is not taught at Cornell and if you cannot be tested in that language at Cornell
Attach to it the Foreign Language Exemption Questionnaire.
Do not submit this petition for languages taught at Cornell instead contact an appropriate Department to schedule an examination.
Students with questions about submitting a petition are encouraged to contact their advising dean.