I specialize in the industrialized total wars of the 20th century and the asymmetric responses (guerrilla warfare, insurgency, and terrorism) to those wars that evolved after 1945. I have written books on the British Army in World War I, the Philippine-American War, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and American military encounters with other cultures.
I'm the series editor for Cornell University Press' Battlegrounds: Cornell Studies in Military History
Military History and Policy
Coming this year is Wars Civil and Great: The American Experience in the Civil War and the Great War (Kansas University Press)
In the news
- After one year of war, how to break the stalemate in Ukraine?
- Germany weighing decision to deliver modern battlefield tanks to Ukraine
- Mikhail Gorbachev, dead at 91, ‘likely haunts Putin’s dreams’
- U.S. information warfare ‘fundamentally shapes conflict’ in Ukraine
- China must protect own interests in decision to provide Russia aid
- Kabul bombings indicate fragile American position in Afghanistan
- Boots in the books: Veterans succeed at academic prep camp
- Undergrad summer course to examine COVID-19 impacts
- A&S Dean Ray Jayawardhana to lead Argentine study tour to see eclipse