Choosing a Major/Minor

You are here

As you begin your studies in the College of Arts & Sciences, we encourage you to take time to sample courses from our 40 majors, then discover what you love and dive in. It's one of the benefits of a liberal arts education.

If you need help as you consider your major, call 607-255-5004 or 607-255-4833 to make an appointment with an advising dean. Or contact a career counselor in Arts & Sciences Career Development at 607-255-4166 to talk about your interests and how they can translate into a major and a future career.

Applying for a Major

Most students declare a major during or at the end of the second semester of their sophomore year.

Apply for a major as soon as you have completed the prerequisites for the major, which may be as early as the end of your first year. Consult the appropriate department website or the Courses of Study for information regarding prerequisites.

Consult the appropriate departmental website for your intended major and follow the application guidelines. For some majors, applications can be submitted online, but for others you may be required to meet the director of undergraduate studies (DUS) to discuss your interest in the major.

If you cannot complete this process before the end of your sophomore year, meet with your advising dean to review your options.

To drop a major, visit the major department and fill out the required paperwork.

Adding 2nd or 3rd Major

Some students have diverse intellectual or career interests that span academic disciplines and therefore consider pursuing a second major. If you are interested in a second major, consult with your faculty advisor and advising dean. Sometimes you can pursue your interests with a minor or by designing a unique course of study with elective courses rather than completing a second major.

If you decide to add another major, it must be within the College of Arts & Sciences unless you apply to the Concurrent Degree Program (see below). Follow the same steps outlined above to apply to a second major.

Second or sometimes third majors can be added in your junior or even senior year, but you should apply as soon as you can to give yourself time to complete the additional major.

Concurrent Degrees

You can pursue majors in other colleges by applying to the five-year Concurrent Degree Program. Arts & Sciences offers concurrent degrees with the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture, Art & Planning.

To begin the application process, make an appointment with Tammy Shapiro, KG17 Klarman Hall, 607-255-4833.

Adding a Minor

A minor is a secondary area of interest in which you complete 15-18 credits. It is not necessary to have a minor, but minors can allow you to group some related electives together in a meaningful way.

Many minors in other undergraduate colleges are open to Arts & Sciences students. Consult the list of available minors

To add a minor, visit the office for your desired minor to find out what paperwork is needed.


For information on pre-law studies, click here.

Health Careers

For information on health careers, click here.