Ten faculty members in the College of Arts & Sciences were approved in the last several months as endowed professors by the Cornell Board of Trustees, continuing the college’s priority to recognize faculty excellence and accomplishments.
With these 10, the number of A&S faculty appointed to endowed professorships since fall 2018 has reached 44.
“Faculty members are the heart of our academic life and these professorships ensure that our faculty are recognized and supported as among the best in the world,” said Ray Jayawardhana, Harold Tanner Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. “I offer warm congratulations to this group of leading scholars.”
The professorships are possible because of generous gifts from alumni, parents and friends. Those gifts allow the College to replace retiring faculty, recruit stellar junior faculty and recognize and retain mid-career and senior faculty to provide leadership in areas of strategic importance.
The 10 faculty members honored are:
- Raymond Craib, Marie Underhill Noll Professor of American History
- Iftikhar Dadi, John H. Burris Professor in History of Art
- Jason Frank, John L. Senior Professor, Department of Government
- Daniel Halpern-Leistner, Goenka Family Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics
- Elizabeth Kellogg, Robert Noyce Assistant Professor in Life Science and Technology, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
- J. Robert Lennon, Ann S. Bowers Professor of English
- J. Ritchie Patterson, Helen T. Edwards Professor of Physics
- James P. Sethna, James Gilbert White Distinguished Professor of Physical Sciences, Department of Physics
- Jessica Chen Weiss, Michael J. Zak Professor for China and Asian-Pacific Studies
- David Yearsley, Herbert Gussman Professor of Music