I am a historian of modern Latin America with research and teaching interests in the intersections of space, politics, and everyday practice. My home department is History and I have affiliations with Romance Studies, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and Latino Studies and work with students from a wide range of disciplines and with a particular focus on the history of modern Latin America.
Adventure Capitalism: A History of Libertarian Exit, from the Era of Decolonization to the Digital Age (PM Press/Spectre, 2022). Spanish translation forthcoming with Editorial Katakrak (Pamplona, Spain).
The Cry of the Renegade: Politics and poetry in interwar Chile (Oxford University Press, 2016) Published in translation as: Santiago Subversivo 1920: Anarquistas, universitarios y la muerte de José Domingo Gómez Rojas. Trans. by Pablo Abufom Silva, LOM Ediciones, Chile, 2017
Cartographic Mexico: A History of State Fixations and Fugitive Landscapes (Duke University Press, 2004). Published in translation as: México Cartográfico: Una historia de límites fijos y paisajes fugitivos. Trans. by Rossana Reyes, UNAM/Inst. de Geografía/CISAN, Mexico, 2014
Martirio, memoria, historia: Sobre los subversivos y la expulsión de Casimiro Barrios, 1920 (Santiago: Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos, Serie Signos de la Memoria, 2015)
No Gods No Masters No Peripheries: Global Anarchisms [co-edited with Barry Maxwell] (PM Press, 2015). German translation, edition assemblage, forthcoming.
In the news
- California Forever plans prove ‘colonizing spirit’ still exists
- Shadow of former dictatorship hangs heavy in Chile
- History department begins three-year active learning initiative
- Craib and Fiani win graduate, professional teaching prize
- Think twice before founding that free-market utopia
- Ten A&S faculty honored with endowed professorships
- Book retrieval effort gives grad student welcome relief
- Six on faculty receive Einaudi Center grants for international work
- Einaudi Center welcomes new program directors
- Small grants fire up new research in the social sciences
- Einaudi Center to provide research help to doctoral students
- Historian to speak on American exceptionalism
- Catching the research bug
- Atkinson Center gives record number of seed research grants
- Social Science institute supports nine A&S faculty projects