Assistant Professor, Music
Current research project:
I just finished an orchestra piece called “Cloudline” which was co-commissioned by BBC Radio 3 for the BBC National Orchestra of Wales for the 2021 BBC Proms and by The Los Angeles Philharmonic. I'm also the co-director of Cornell ReSounds, which is a New Frontier/Humanities Impact Grant-funded project that aims to establish Cornell as a center for the design and creation of new acoustic instruments.
- Assistant Professor of Composition, Oberlin College & Conservatory, 2015-2021
- Mead Composer-in-Residence, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 2015-2018
- D.Mus., Composition, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, 2017
- M.M., Composition, Thornton School of Music, University of Southern California, 2012
- B.M., Composition, Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University, 2009
Last book read:
“At Night all Blood is Black” by David Diop
In your own time/when not working:
Dreaming up crazy projects; visiting Odyssey Bookstore to get my next literary fix; petting my cat, Boris, and my dog, Otto; exploring the nooks and crannies of the Finger Lakes; chasing the next best coffee; wandering the streets of Manhattan
Courses you’re most looking forward to teaching:
FutureSounds, which is a creative lab where students across disciplines will collaborate to design multi-faceted projects around the invention of new instruments.
What most excites you about Cornell:
So many things, but right now, the freedom to explore risky things as well as the enthusiasm, creativity and collaborative energy of the Cornellians I've been fortunate enough to work with already.
Twitter handle/blog url: