There are four basic steps for students wishing to transfer from another college at Cornell into the College of Arts & Sciences:
- Required Meeting
- Review A&S College Requirements
- Submit Application
- You must be in good standing in your home college with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 and must earn at least a 2.7 in the semester you apply.
- First-semester first-year students: First-year students may apply at the end of their first semester but must have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Second-semester sophomores and juniors: If you apply to transfer as a second-semester sophomore or junior, you must submit documentation that you have been accepted into an Arts & Sciences major. Rising juniors or current juniors who are not ready to enter an A&S major will be denied.
- External transfers to one of Cornell's other colleges/schools may only apply at the end of their second Cornell semester.
- Note for External Transfers: Students who transfer to Cornell from another institution must have a minimum of four semesters in residence at Cornell and a minimum of two semesters in residence in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students on a leave of absence: If you are withdrawn or on a required leave of absence from your home college, you must get permission to apply from Tam Shapiro, chair of the Arts and Sciences Internal Transfer Committee.
All internal transfer applicants must meet with Tam Shapiro, chair of the Arts and Sciences Internal Transfer Committee as part of the internal transfer application. You have two options:
- Before applying, carefully review the degree requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences.
- As an internal transfer, you must spend four semesters at Cornell and two semesters as an Arts & Sciences student and complete both college and major requirements.
- If you transfer as a junior, you may not be able to study abroad or participate in other off-campus programs due to the residency requirement.
- Review the application process at the Office of Internal Transfer and Concurrent Degrees.
- Note that the deadline to transfer for the upcoming semester is the last day of classes of the current semester.
- Fill out the online Internal Transfer Application, which includes a personal statement.
- If you apply to transfer as a second-semester sophomore or as a junior, you must submit documentation to Tam Shapiro at email@example.com that you have been accepted into an Arts & Sciences major. Rising juniors, juniors, or rising seniors who are not ready to enter an A&S major will be denied.
- We will review the academic records (high school and college) of all applicants to ensure appropriate preparation for the A&S curriculum.
- Late Applications: Requests for late applications for internal transfer should be sent to Tam Shapiro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer to Another College
Current Arts & Sciences students who wish to explore the option of internally transferring to another college or school should contact the internal transfer coordinator of the target college or school and/or the Office of Internal Transfer and Concurrent Degrees.