- (in press) Why defining is seldom 'just semantics': Marriage, 'marriage', and other minefields. In B. Birner & G. Ward, eds., Drawing the Boundaries of Meaning: Neo-Gricean Studies in Pragmatics and Semantics in Honor of Laurence R. Horn. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- (2003) 'What's in a name?': social labeling and gender practices. In J. Holmes & M. Meyerhoff, eds.,The Handbook of Language and Gender (Oxford: Blackwell), 69-97.
- (2003) Language and Gender. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. [coauthored with Penelope Eckert]
- (2002) 'Queering' semantics: Definitional struggles. In K. Campbell-Kibler, R. Podesva, S. Roberts, and A. Wong, eds., Language and Sexuality: Contesting Meaning in Theory and Practice, CSLI (Stanford), 137-160.
- (2000). Meaning and Grammar: An Introduction to Semantics (rev. 2nd ed.). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. [coauthored with Gennaro Chierchia] Korean translation published by Hankook Publishing Company with brief new preface in English in 2004. Tr. by Ik-Hwan Lee, Kyoung-Won Kson, and Im-Young Jhee.
- (1994). On the non-optionality of certain modifiers. In M. Harvey and L. Santelmann (Eds.),Proceedings from the Semantics and Linguistic Theory IV Conference, pp. 23-250. Ithaca: DMLL Pubs, Cornell.
- (1989, 1998). The sexual (re)production of meaning: A discourse-based theory. In F. W. Frank and P. A. Treichler (Eds.), Language, gender and professional writing: Theoretical approaches and guidelines for nonsexist usage. New York: MLA Publications, 35-50. Rpt. (slightly shortened and with introduction) in D. Cameron, ed. (1998), The feminist critique of meaning: A reader. London and New York: Routledge.
- (1982) Adverbs and logical form: A linguistically realistic theory. Language 58, 144-84.
In the news