Professor Malte Ziewitz studies the changing role of governance and regulation in, of, and through digitally networked environments – the dynamics at work, the values at stake, the design options at hand.
His work has been supported by an NSF Career Award, a McCloy Fellowship, a PGP Corporation Scholarship, and grants from the Economic and Social Research Council, the Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness, the German Academic Exchange Service, and the NSF. As Principal Investigator, he headed the How's My Feedback? project, a collaborative design experiment to rethink and evaluate online review and rating websites.
Previously, Malte was a postdoctoral fellow at New York University's Department of Media, Culture, and Communication and Information Law Institute. He also worked as a junior researcher at the Hans Bredow Institute for Media Research. He holds a D.Phil. from Oxford University, an M.P.A. from Harvard University, and a First State Exam in Law from the University of Hamburg.
At Cornell, he directs the Digital Due Process Clinic, served as Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Biology & Society and the Science & Technology Studies majors, and is a House Fellow and frequent diner at William Keeton House.
Science & technology studies; sociology of (e)valuation; mundane governance; digital media; audit cultures; ethnography; ethnomethodology
- Ziewitz, M. (2019). Rethinking gaming: The ethical work of optimization in web search engines. Social Studies of Science 49(5): 707-731.
- Ziewitz, M. and M. Lynch (2018). It's important to go to the laboratory: Malte Ziewitz Talks with Michael Lynch. Engaging Science, Technology, and Society 4: 366-385.
- Ziewitz, M. (2017). A not quite random walk: Experimenting with the ethnomethods of the algorithm. Big Data & Society 4(2): 1-13.
- Ziewitz, M. (2017). Experience in action: Moderating care in web-based patient feedback. Social Science & Medicine 175: 99-108.
- Ziewitz, M. (2016). Governing algorithms: Myth, mess, and methods. Science, Technology, and Human Values 41(1): 3-16.
- Ziewitz, M. and C. Pentzold (2014). In search of internet governance: Performing order in digitally networked environments. New Media & Society 16(2): 306-322.
- Barocas, S., Hood, S. and M. Ziewitz (2013). Governing algorithms: A provocation piece. Discussion paper for Governing Algorithms conference, May 16-17, 2013.
- Ziewitz, M. and I. Brown (2013). A prehistory of internet governance. In Research Handbook on Governance of the Internet, ed I. Brown, 3-26. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.