Professor Fine received her PhD from Harvard in 1975, and joined the Sage School in the same year. Her main interest is in ancient philosophy, but she is also is interested in the rationalists and empiricists, and in epistemology and metaphysics. In recent years, she has taught courses on the rationalists, on conflicting appearances, ancient skepticism, and Plato's metaphysics and epistemology. She received Cornell's Clark Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1992. In 1998-1999 she was a Fellow at the Cornell Society for the Humanities. She is currently working on a cluster of issues centered in ancient epistemology, especially in Plato, Aristotle, and Sextus Empiricus. She currently spends the spring semester in Oxford, where she is a Senior Research Fellow in Merton College and a Visiting Professor of Ancient Philosophy in the Faculty of Philosophy.
- academic article
- Meno’s Paradox and the Sisyphus. Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy. 28:113-146. 2013
- Aristotle on Knowledge. Elenchos. 54:121-156. 2010
- Aristotle’s Two Worlds: Posterior Analytics 1.33. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society. 110:323-346. 2010
- Signification, Essence, and Meno’s Paradox. Phronesis. 55:125-152. 2010
- Descartes and Ancient Skepticism: Reheated Cabbage?. Philosophical Review. 109:195-234.2000
- Sceptical Dogmata: Outlines of Pyrrhonism. Methexis. 13. 2000
- Knowledge and Logos in the Theaetetus. Philosophical Review. 88:366-397. 1979
- The Possibility of Inquiry: Meno’s Paradox from Socrates to Sextus. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2014
- On Ideas: Aristotle's Criticism of Plato's Theory of Forms. Oxford ; New York: Clarendon Press.1993
- Concepts and Inquiry: Sextus and the Epicureans. Episteme, Etc. Ed. Morison, B. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 90-114. 2011
- Aristotle's Reply to the Aporêma in the Meno. Aristotle and the Stoics Reading Plato. Ed. McCabe, M. Bulletin of the Classical Institute. 45-72. 2010
- Sceptical Inquiry. Definition in Ancient Philosophy. Ed. Charles, D. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 493-525. 2010
- Knowledge and Belief in Republic V-VII. Epistemology. 1990
- Inquiry in the Meno. The Cambridge Companion to Plato.