As a science & technology studies major, you’ll explore the social and cultural aspects of science and technology and be encouraged to ask informed and penetrating questions about the social forces that shape science and technology, the limits of scientific authority and the role of technology in modern life.
Want to start right away? Here are some basic requirements for students wanting to major in STS. Keep in mind this isn’t the complete list of formal requirements — that list can be found on the Courses of Study page.
As a major, you will complete:
- The core course, STS 2011, What Is Science? An Introduction to the Social Studies of Science and Technology
- Three additional 2000 level courses.
- Additional S&TS courses to total 37 credit hours in the major.
- Two courses in natural sciences or engineering (including computer science) in addition to the science requirement of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- What is Science
- Science in the American Polity, 1960 to Now
- Gender and Technology
- Communication, Environment, Science & Health
All information below is based on the 2014-2018 First-Destination Post-Graduate Survey. Lists are not exhaustive; rather, they are a sampling of the data. "Other" includes time off, travel, volunteer experiences, and/or preparing for graduate school. If you would like to more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
More than 4/5 of 2014-2018 graduates reported being Employed or Attending Graduate School, with the majority being Employed. None reported Seeking Employment.
69% of the Class of 2014-2018 Science & Technology Studies graduates completed the survey. n = 18
Below, you will find:
- Top Employment Sectors
- Where Graduates Work
- Top Graduate Fields
- Where Graduates Study
Top Employment Sectors
- Financial Services
- Human Healthcare Services
- Consulting/Prof Practice
Where 2014-2018 STS Graduates Work
|Bank of America Merrill Lynch||Financial Advisor|
|Cisco Systems||Associate Systems Engineer|
|City of Dallas||Library Associate|
|Cline, Davis, & Mann||Copywriter|
|Harvard Medical School||Researcher|
|Mack Molding||Quality Engineer|
|National Academy of Medicine||Web Communications Associate|
|Mew Pathway Education||Consultant|
|New York Power Authority||Business Process Analyst|
Top Graduate Fields Pursued
- Information Science
- History of Science
Graduate Degrees Pursued
Where 2014-2018 STS Graduates Study
- Cornell University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Princeton University
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of North Carolina