As a science & technology studies major, you’ll explore the social and cultural aspects of science and technology and be encouraged to ask informed and penetrating questions about the social forces that shape science and technology, the limits of scientific authority and the role of technology in modern life.
Want to start right away? Here are some basic requirements for students wanting to major in STS. Keep in mind this isn’t the complete list of formal requirements — that list can be found on the Courses of Study page.
As a major, you will complete:
- The core course, STS 2011, What Is Science? An Introduction to the Social Studies of Science and Technology
- Three additional 2000 level courses.
- Additional S&TS courses to total 37 credit hours in the major.
- Two courses in natural sciences or engineering (including computer science) in addition to the science requirement of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- What is Science
- Science in the American Polity, 1960 to Now
- Gender and Technology
- Communication, Environment, Science & Health
All information below is based on the 2022 First-Destination Post-Graduate Survey. Lists are not exhaustive; rather, they are a sampling of the data. If you would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What can you do with a degree in Science & Technology Studies (STS)?
In 2022, many STS majors embarked on graduate school journeys. They pursued various advanced degrees, with the majority dedicated to their JD, MPH, or PhD. Their graduate field interest ranges from law to public health, and sociology.
These ambitious individuals have chosen to continue their education at prestigious institutions like Columbia University and the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The majority of STS graduates entered sectors in human health services, consulting, insurance, and technology.
Where 2022 Science & Technology Studies Graduates Work
|Bank of America Merrill Lynch||Financial Advisor|
|Harvard Medical School||Researcher|
|Mayo Clinic||Research Assistant|
|National Academy of Medicine||Web Communications Associate|
|ST Engineering iDirect||Associate Business Analyst|