We are a community.

We will help guide you on your path to success...however you define it.

Advice, Mentorship, Counsel

We are a community of scholars, known for our intellectual rigor and engaged in deep and broad research. We are also a community of mentors, guiding students with wildly varying interests along their chosen paths.

For students, this is a transformational journey that will no doubt be challenging at times. However, through collaboration and exploration, time spent here will build a foundation for lifelong growth, opportunity and discovery.

Learn More

Your Cornell journey will prepare you not only for a successful career, but also for a life well lived. You will grow the most during this journey if you think boldly about the opportunities you'll have beyond the classroom, the relationships you will make and nurture and the connections you make for the present and the future.

of your curriculum is taken outside your major
Choose from 39 different majors.
of undergraduates identify as minority and/or international students

Prospective Undergraduate FAQs

What skills will I acquire?
You can expect a rigorous courseload, ample research opportunities, and an embracing community that will help you reach your potential. Click here to earn more about educational outcomes in the College of Arts & Sciences.
Am I limited in the number of courses I can take outside of Arts & Sciences?

As long as you earn at least 100 A&S credits, you can earn as many credits outside the college as you wish.

When do I have to declare my major?

You have until the end of sophomore year to declare a major and you can add minors or an additional major during your junior and senior years.

Can I choose a major in another college? Can I double major across colleges?

As a B.A. candidate enrolled in the college for four years, you cannot major in another college. However, if you want to major in an engineering field or in the B.F.A. or U.R.S.  programs in the College of Architecture, Art and Planning, you can apply to the five-year Concurrent Degree Program and earn two Cornell degrees. 

Also, many minors offered by the other colleges are open to Arts & Sciences students. Check with that college's department or your advisor to find out whether an out-of-college minor is open to you.

Can undergrads get involved in research?

Undergraduate research is one of the pillars of a Cornell education. You can work in a lab, become a professor's research assistant, write a senior thesis, or take on myriad other research projects.

Can I study abroad even if I’m premed/-vet/-dentistry?

Yes, with careful planning. As soon as you know your major, meet with Dean Pat Wasyliw, study abroad advisor for the College.

Can I take classes for a pass/fail grade?

You can select the S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) grading option for a course if the course offers it. However, courses used to complete requirements for a major or minor must be taken for a letter grade. Note that an “S” grade is equivalent to a letter grade of “C-“ or above; a “U” grade is equivalent to a grade below a “C-.” You receive no credit for a course in which you earn a “U.” You must take 80 of your 120 credits for a letter grade.

What is the difference between “dropping” a course and “withdrawing” from a course?

You may “drop” a course through the end of the 8th week of the semester by dropping it via Student Center. If you “drop” a course before the drop deadline, the course will not appear on your transcript. You may “withdraw” from a course after the drop deadline and before the last day of classes by petition only. A withdrawn course will appear on the transcript with a “W.”

What is a minor?

Explore the Arts & Sciences Minors.

A minor is a secondary area of interest that often complements a major. Although not a degree requirement of the college, a minor allows students to group some related electives together in a meaningful way. Most of the minors offered in the college are interdisciplinary, such as Law and Society or International Relations. Some are offered within existing departments, such as Music or Spanish. Some out-of-college minors are available to Arts and Sciences students. Completed minors will appear on your transcript.

Most out-of-college minors are open to Arts and Sciences students. Consult with the appropriate department to determine whether a given out-of-college minor is open to you.

Do only foreign language majors study abroad?

No, A&S students who study abroad come from all majors.