The College of Arts & Sciences offers you enormous choice in designing your own unique college education. A sound first-year schedule will allow you to explore your intellectual interests and gain a sense of yourself as a potential scholar, but there is no single formula or sample schedule that works for everyone. When putting together your schedule, we encourage you to choose subjects that you are excited to explore.
Here are some general guidelines to follow as you begin to make your choices:
- A typical first-semester schedule includes 4 or 5 courses (not counting PE) at the 1000- or 2000-level (14-16 academic credits).
- Your course load must consist of at least 12 and no more than 18 academic credits (PE does not count).
- Any student can expect to earn a degree in 8 semesters by taking an average of 15 credits per semester (120 credits total).
- You have until the end of your sophomore year to choose and enter a major: most students declare their major during the second semester of sophomore year.
- Your choice of major does not determine your career.