You are here
All internal transfer applicants must meet with Dean Ray Kim, chair of the Arts and Sciences Internal Transfer Committee, as part of the internal transfer application. We suggest that you come by during internal transfer walk-in hours on Wednesdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (through Nov. 29, 2017) in Klarman Hall KG17. If your schedule conflicts with walk-in hours, you may schedule an appointment by calling 607-255-4833. You may also email questions to email@example.com.
The basic guidelines for internal transfer to A&S are:
- As an internal transfer, you must spend four semesters on campus as an Arts & Sciences student and complete our major and distribution requirements.
- You must be in good standing in your home college with a cumulative GPA of 2.7, and must earn at least a 2.7 in the semester you apply.
- First-year students may apply at the end of their first semester but must have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- We will review the academic records (high school and college) of all applicants to ensure appropriate preparation for the A&S curriculum.
- If you transfer as a junior, you may not be able to study abroad or participate in other off-campus programs due to the four-semester residency requirement.
- If you apply to transfer as a second-semester sophomore, you must submit documentation that you have been accepted into an Arts & Sciences major. Rising juniors who are not ready to enter an A&S major will be denied.
- Because of the College’s four-semester residency requirement, if you externally transfer into Cornell as a second-semester sophomore or later, you are not eligible for internal transfer into A&S.
- If you're withdrawn or on a required leave of absence from your home college, you must get permission to apply from Dean Ray Kim.
- If you meet the GPA requirement and are enrolled in 9 to11 Arts & Sciences credits in the semester you apply, you may be considered for direct transfer into the College, although other factors will also be considered.
- Some applicants may be offered conditional acceptance into the College for one semester, with official admittance after successful completion of the semester with the required GPA.
- To apply for internal transfer, complete the online Internal Transfer Application.
- Second-semester sophomores must submit additional documentation to show that they have been admitted to an Arts & Sciences major.
- Arts & Sciences students who wish to explore the option of internally transferring to another college or school should contact the internal transfer coordinator of the target college or school and/or the Office of Internal Transfer.