President, Gotham Organization, Inc.
David L. Picket is President of Gotham Organization, Inc. and Chief Executive Officer of Gotham Developers, LLC. Gotham is a fully integrated real estate development company that includes a wholly-owned union construction company. Since joining the company in 1991, David has led Gotham's new project development business through a period of growth that is unprecedented in the company's 80-year history. David became responsible for Gotham's development and property operations businesses in 1998.
Under David's direction, Gotham has developed over 4,000 housing units and over 1 million square feet of urban retail. The majority of the firm's developments have been accomplished through public/private partnerships, combining public funds, tax benefits and/or reduced land prices in exchange for the creation of affordable housing, schools, community facilities, job programs and other public benefits. His developments have created over 5,000 union construction jobs and 1,000 permanent positions. Of particular note is the firm's latest residential development, Gotham West, a 1,238 unit development with four buildings spanning a four acre site in Midtown West. This ambitious project includes, 250 units of affordable housing, 432 units of middle-income housing, and a school created in exchange for a reduced land price and tax benefits.
David was one of the first developers to capitalize on the resurgence of the multi-family housing market in New York in the mid-1990s and to recognize the untapped potential of the Midtown West neighborhood. In addition to Gotham West, he is responsible for the development of several award-winning properties, including Nicole, Atlas New York, The Foundry, New Gotham and The Corner and retail projects that include Harlem USA and DC USA. Harlem USA was the first development to utilize funds generated by the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone and, at the time, represented the largest private investment ever made in Harlem.
Prior to joining Gotham, David was a banker in the real estate division of Citicorp and a real estate attorney for what is now Bryan Cave LLP. David is the great-grandson of the founder of Gotham.
David obtained a law degree from Columbia and a bachelor's degree from Cornell University. David and his wife, Rona, have three children; Matthew (23), Nicole (20) and Ben (17). David is a member of or affiliated with the following boards and organizations:
- Co-Chairman of the Board of Overseers for Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke's and Mount Sinai Roosevelt
- Citizens Housing Planning Council, Member, Board of Directors
- Common Ground, Member, Board of Directors
- Cornell University, Member, College of Arts & Sciences Advisory Board
- The Fashion Center BID, Member, Board of Directors
- The Jewish Community Relations Council, Former Member, Board of Directors
- Jewish National Fund, Tree of Life Award, 2007
- Real Estate Board of New York
- Member, Board of Governors
- Member, Housing Committee
- Director, Owners & Builders Division
- Realty Foundation of New York, Member, Board of Directors
- UJA-Federation of New York, Honoree, 2011