Skip directly to main navigation | secondary navigation | main content

Transfer Requirements

Cornell University Cornell University College of Arts and Sciences Cornell University

College of Arts and Sciences, Liberal Arts at Cornell University

Admissions Requirements

  • To apply to the College of Arts & Sciences as a transfer student, you must have already graduated from high school and have earned a year’s worth of credits at another institution since graduation. If you are enrolled in a dual-enrollment or early-college program and have not graduated from high school, you must apply as a first-year applicant
  • We accept fall or spring transfers
  • Students interested in the College of Arts and Sciences should take a broad and challenging liberal arts curriculum at their current school which can include courses in writing, foreign language, science, quantitative reasoning, social science and humanities
  • Applicants should have a superior academic record. In addition to college grades, the selection committee looks very carefully at the statement of academic interest, including its substance, articulation and interest in the liberal arts, essays, recommendations, and high school record
  • Applicants should be able to articulate clearly their interest in the College of Arts and Sciences and its academic programs
    If you have previously taken the SAT or ACT, you should have an official score report sent to Cornell by the testing agency. It is not necessary to take the SAT or ACT if you have not previously done so
  • Students who wish to transfer to the College of Arts and Sciences as a junior must have fulfilled the pre-requisite coursework for their intended major. Information on major pre-requisites and requirements can be found in Cornell’s Courses of Study
  • We do not offer interviews
  • Important information on application procedures can be found here: Please pay special attention to deadlines and requirements for submitting the TOEFL
  • Additional information on transfer options at Cornell is available at:
  • Credit is awarded on the basis of full -time semesters spent elsewhere, up to a maximum of 30 credits per academic year
  • A “C” or better is required for a course to transfer
  • AP or IB credit can be used toward the 120 credits required for graduation and to place into higher-level courses; see the Courses of Study for more information
  • Courses transferred from your home institution may be applied toward the college’s requirements
  • Academic departments will determine how transfer courses may be used toward the major
  • A&S does not accept CLEP credit
  • Transfer students must complete a minimum of 60 credits at Cornell and four semesters on our Ithaca campus
  • A&S sends credit evaluations with acceptance letters