Skip directly to main navigation | secondary navigation | main content

Summer Study

Cornell University Cornell University College of Arts and Sciences Cornell University

College of Arts and Sciences, Liberal Arts at Cornell University

Summer Study Abroad

Students who wish to study abroad during the summer may apply independently to the program of their choice, and do not need the permission of the college to do so. Summer study abroad is not subject to college policies on GPA, language study, or completion of an area studies course. Credit transfer is determined upon return by the appropriate academic department; students may check in advance with the department’s Director of Undergraduate Studies to determine eligibility for credit. All transfer credit counts as out-of-college credit, and may not be used to fulfill any Arts and Sciences distribution requirements. Institutional financial aid is not available for summer study abroad.

Summer study abroad opportunities administered by Cornell earn Cornell credit and appear directly on student transcripts. Enrollment in Cornell programs is offered through the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions.

You are welcome to meet with Dean Wasyliw to discuss your options for summer study abroad, including program choice and credit transfer. Cornell Abroad in 300 Caldwell Hall also maintains a collection of informational materials on summer programs.

To transfer credit from summer study abroad: 

  • Request an official transcript to be sent to the Arts and Sciences Admissions Office, 172 Goldwin Smith Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
  • Complete one Application for Credit from Other Institutions form for each course completed, and take to the corresponding academic department at Cornell. 
  • Return completed form to 172 Goldwin Smith Hall.


Contact Information

Patricia Wasyliw
G-55 Goldwin Smith Hall
607-255-5797 (fax)